Tuesday, January 22, 2013

hey mama whatchu makin for breakfast?


Is the question I hear every morning from my hungry hippos and I usually give the same (in my opinion boring) answer "oatmeal!"  Lucky for me, all the kids love mama's oatmeal and I feel good about giving it to them pretty much every day of the week.  On weekends I'll branch out and make eggs, pancakes or waffles but the standard Mon-Fri procedure is oatmeal.  Rather than making the instant oats, I take an extra 10-15 minutes on the stovetop and make the old fashioned slower cooking oats, which I've read are healthier for you, and I have a solid, easy to memorize recipe to share that will hopefully please your kiddos and/or yourself.

I pour about 1.25 cups of oats into a pot ( it feeds three toddlers and then most days I have a little leftover to put in smoothies).  Then I add 1.25 cups water and 1.25 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk (any milk will work though) with some cinnamon and sometimes a tablespoon or two of maple syrup.


Turn it on high and bring it all to a beautiful frothy boil.



Give it a good stir and turn heat to low.  Let it simmer for about ten minutes or until it reaches almost the consistency that you want.  



Then I let it sit for a couple minutes to cool off and absorb the last little bit of liquid and let the kids have at it.  Sometimes I'll add in blueberries, bananas or raisins for a nice little topping.  Healthy, inexpensive and relatively fast.  Let's hope I can keep up with the oatmeal making in the future when we actually have to get some of the kids off to preschool in the morning, but for now I'll savor the lazy breakfasts and mornings we get to have...and I'll have you know all three of them are still in their jammies and it's almost 2pm.  And so am I.  



Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment